A-4 Skyhawk Items at Amazon

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Model Kit


The model kit I chose is the Monogram OA-4M Skyhawk.  To build a TA from this kit, the avionics hump must be removed.  I used a razor saw to remove it.  Also removed was the ALR-45 antenna on top of the fuselage along with the ECM bulges on the sugar-scoop and the nose along with the oil cooler just in front of the reinforcing strip under the tail-pipe.  I have not added the chaff/flare dispensers yet.  Above picture shows how much modification has already been done by comparing with an unmodified OA-4M fuselage.

Conversion kit is the old Missing Link Models one.  When I removed the ALR-45 fairing, I cut down to the panel line just above the pitot tube.  The tail tip from the conversion kit is the rounded type found on TA-4F/J aircraft so can't be used to build a TA-4H.

Trivia question, why is one kit molded in light gray while the other is dark gray?  Stay tuned for the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment