A-4 Skyhawk Items at Amazon

Friday, November 18, 2011

Rear Cockpit Standby Compass

I think I have finally figured out how to scratchbuild the stand-by compass in the back cockpit for the TA-4H.  I have tried to build the bracket that holds the assembly repeatedly but it's sheer delicacy, without photo-etch, is beyond my skills.  So I always managed to destroy it before finishing it.

Well the Hasegawa TA-4J kit has given me an idea.  Parts E23 and V23 are the stand-by compasses for the front and back cockpits and mounted in the canopy frame.  Hasegawa just molds little square blocks of plastic with raised dial detail.  I plan to sand at a 45 degree angle the back portion of V23 to simiulate the bracket profile.

For the TA-4H I will just take a similar block and do the same 45 degree sanding.  Then paint on the instrument dial and white details.  Then attach to canopy.  And finished with this one vexing problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment